Posts tagged party idea
Cold, rainy weather doesn't have to ruin birthday celebrations with these fun, indoor children's party ideas!
January 25th, 2013 | 6:01 AM
Splashing in the pool, soaking up the sunshine and chowing down on barbecue are some pleasures that make kids’ summer birthday parties a breeze. But for those born any other time of the year, water parks are closed down, the air is a frigid temperature and soup partnered with cold medicine becomes a typical menu item. Don’t burn out on pizza and slumber parties, Mom. We’ve got winter-proof birthday party ideas that will not only be fun to attend, but fun to plan (any time of year)!
These cold weather friendly party ideas will keep the kiddos’ birthday spirits high, despite the conditions outside. Forget singing “It’s my party and I’ll cry if I want to“ another year - winter birthday parties will become something the kids will look forward to knowing you’ve got something new, innovative and exciting in the works!
A few of our favorite Girls’ Birthday Party ideas are chic, sassy and celebrate your little princess:
- Fancy Schmancy Tea Party: Invite guests to wear fancy hats and jewelry, or provide some costumes for dress-up and warm up with fruity tea or hot cocoa; serve mini sandwiches with your little lady’s favorites condiments and let your guests decorate cookies or cupcakes for dessert. Prefer to skip the mess? You can find elegant cupcakes from most bakeries.
- Pop Star Concert: If you aren’t near a local recording studio, send VIP rockstar invites with exclusive “Backstage Passes,” then make a playlist of her favorite songs to burn onto CDs for favors, set up a video camera and let them create their very own music video. Let them sing and dance to their heart’s content while the camera rolls and the tunes play, before decorating cupcakes with edible glitter – every pop star needs some sparkle!
Some of our favorite Boys’ Birthday Party ideas are playful, adventurous and celebrate your little dude:
- Indoor Campout: Let them build a fort with sheets and blankets. Send them on a scavenger hunt through the house for goodies and prizes, and improvise with a s’mores pie or cake. End the night telling stories and singing some tunes in front of the toasty fireplace!
- Science Laboratory: Turn your kitchen into a science lab with a couple science experiments of the birthday boy’s choice. Let each guest decorate their very own white lab coat, and decorate the house with bio-hazardous and radioactive signs. You can even find science kits that contain everything you need for an explosive party!
If you don’t have the space, time or energy to host at home, we love these indoor party ideas that you can find in any town or city:
- Head to the neighborhood ice rink or roller rink, lace up some skates, and take a few laps. It’s fun for all ages, and most venues offer party rooms and packages
- For younger birthdays, local children’s museums will offer fun, crafty and hands-on activities that will keep them busy and entertained for hours
- Bowling is great for all ages, especially alleys that offer bumper lanes and fun glow bowl nights where the evening is lit up with glow-in-the-dark balls and neon signs
- Head to the movies! With great, mom-approved flicks and awesome kids packs (or sneak in some of your own DIY treats!) send the kids to an entertainment center that’ll send their imaginations aglow
- The local library often has excellent entertainment on the weekends – from story time to reading circle – and for those inquisitive groups a storybook adventure might be right up their alley
- YMCA always offers affordable, indoor fun that can be built do meet your needs – with bouncy houses, pool time or active indoor play