In The District:
June 14th, 2013 | 10:00 AM
June 13th, 2013 | 12:10 AM
Featured in Real Simple, Disney FamilyFun Magazine, Parents Magazine, Daily Candy Kids, and more, Little Passports subscriptions take your child on exciting adventures around the world. Each unique, monthly kit introduces kids to a different country’s geography, history, culture, and language.
With a Little Passports subscription, kids will follow globetrotting characters, Sam and Sofia and their exciting travels abroad. Each month, kids will receive a country-specific kit filled with souvenirs, a map, stickers, games, and online activities from Sam and Sofia’s adventures. Kits also include a travel letter from Sam and Sofia that’s sure to inspire their inner explorer!
Subscribe today and your World Edition subscription will begin with the Explorer Kit which includes:
• Fun travel suitcase with an introductory letter from Sam and Sofia
• World wall map
• Travel passport
• Fun stickers
• Activity sheet
• Access to online games and activities with our boarding pass
At checkout, enter code SPECIAL50 to receive an exclusive 50% off the first month of the World Edition
June 13th, 2013 | 12:00 AM
Save up to 30% off CTCA International Cook & Play Summer Camp when you mention Plum District at sign up!
Last month, we introduced you to Master Chef, Toni Wiliard-Young – mom of four and Owner/Operator of Chef Toni’s Cooking Adventures (CTCA). Her recipe for Red, White, & Blue Berries Cookies was a welcome treat at our families’ Memorial Day Festivities — we hope you loved them, too!
Today, Chef Toni is back with another flavorful recipe that gives you just a taste of the curriculum for her International Cook & Play Summer Camps. Designed for kids ages 4-13, these culinary adventures explore a different cultures through food each day – from Mexico to Africa to Russia and beyond. It’s a unique and exciting opportunity for kids to experience food, art, culture, and more.
Camps run from July 8–Sept 6. Pop in for a full day (9am-5pm), half day (9am-1pm or 2-5pm), or take a drop-in Saturday class! To save up to 30% on CTCA’s International Cook & Play Summer Camp by mentioning Plum District when you enroll.
And now, Chef Toni’s Pasta Primavera — a colorful, veggie-filled recipe the whole family will love. It’s a quick, easy intro to what your master-chef-to-be will whip up at summer camp!
12 ounces tricolor fusilli
4 cups broccoli florets
3 carrots, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 cup frozen peas
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or basil)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs, adding the broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, and peas during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta and vegetables and return to the pot.
2. Meanwhile, make the sauce: Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until it begins to soften (about 1 minute). Add the vegetable broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; bring to simmer and cook until slightly reduced (about 3 minutes). Whisk in the remaining butter until melted and the sauce is thickened, about 1 minute more.
3. Pour the sauce over the pasta and vegetables and add the cheese, parsley and lemon juice. Cook over low heat, stirring, until the cheese melts (about 1 minute) adding enough reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and top with more cheese. Enjoy!
Find and Book Experienced, Mom-Recommended Babysitters for Summer
June 11th, 2013 | 3:00 AM
Lynn Perkins has always been a pro at connecting people — helping friends find roommates, jobs, and even spouses. So when she became a mother of twin boys, it was no surprise that her mom friends turned to her for sitter recommendations.
Lynn soon realized that there had to be a faster, easier way to introduce parents to trusted caretakers. As a startup veteran, and with a background in tech, she explored the idea of an online, babysitter booking system. She wanted to make the process as easy as making restaurant reservations.
Since it’s inception in 2011, UrbanSitter has become a go-to resource for moms looking to quickly find and book babysitters recommended by people they know (friends, child’s school, sports team, etc). Whether you’re looking for an occasional sitter, full-time nanny, a qualified driver for camp drop-offs and pickups, or last-minute help, UrbanSitter delivers reliable support when you need it. Search babysitters and nannies by experience, date, or rating — then book instantly with a click and even pay online. Finding reliable coverage for summer has never been easier!
Save on Melissa & Doug, MLB Tickets, Stride Rite, NatureBox, Kidorable, & Other Favorites!
June 5th, 2013 | 5:23 PM
Here’s what we’ve got lined up for you in June! Visit us all month long for summertime inspirations, fun things to do with your kids, favorite brands (for you, Dad, and the kids), and more….
6/5: Order ahead for Father’s Day!
- Enjoy BeerBoxer‘s award-winning craft beers, delivered to your doorstep.
- Get steep ticket discounts from ScoreBig for MLB, other pro sports, and popular shows.
6/5: Stride Rite kids’ shoes! With an in-depth knowledge of how kids walk and grow, Stride Rite delivers only the best for kids of all ages.
6/6: Melissa and Doug‘s summer toys and gear! Six great bundles kids will love.
6/7: NatureBox is back! 100% all-natural, nutritionist-approved, kid-loved snacks that are perfect for gatherings, ball games, camp lunch bags, movie nights, and more!
6/8: Save on favorite magazines like FamilyFun (great ideas for summer activities, crafts, and meals).
6/12: Beach day essentials for kids and adults, including Kidorable’s irresistible towels.
6/14-6/15: Father’s Day celebration with Day of Golf, and more!
6/18: School’s out! Turn a year’s worth of children’s artwork into a beautiful coffee table book with our offer from Plum Print.
6/25: I See Me! is here with their award-winning, personalized storybooks that spell out your child’s name.
6/24-6/26: Still need summer activities for your kids? Save on local favorites with our final run of camps!
Plus, Enjoy a Special Memorial Day Recipe for the Family
May 20th, 2013 | 3:00 AM
Master Chef and mom of four, Toni Wiliard-Young, understands the importance of good nutrition. Over the past 20 years, the South African-born culinary expert has gained great recognition for her culinary creations, farm-to-table practices, and her children’s cooking classes on healthy eating. Chef Toni has also catered to politicians, the South African Embassy, private dinners for Columbia University almuni, and countless others. And in 2008, she opened Antoinette’s — a restaurant in Harlem that provides guests with the best seasonal produce, antibiotic- and hormone-free meats, and fresh-caught fish.
In addition to cooking for others, Chef Toni has shared her knowledge and expertise with several NYC schools as a cooking specialist, and started her very own cooking school, Chef Toni’s Cooking Adventures (CTCA). At CTCA, their primary goal is to teach children (ages 2-16) where food comes from. Students learn the fundamentals of farm-to-table cooking, healthy food choices, smart shopping skills, culinary techniques, and basic manners and etiquette. Along the way, they’ll socialize with others in the kitchen, learn about task-completion, and work toward becoming a top ‘Junior Chef.’
Today, Chef Toni is here with a sneak peek at a recipe for CTCA’s upcoming, famous Pre-Memorial Cook & Play Adventure (Saturday, May 25th). Students will prepare the mix for the berry-packed cookies below, and take it home in a jar to bake with the family!
RED, WHITE, & BLUE BERRIES COOKIES
(Makes about 36 cookies)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup dried chopped cherries
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Scoop dough evenly onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes.
Let cool completely, and ENJOY!
Can’t join them for Memorial Day festivities? Check out their post-Memorial Day Cook & Play Camp (May 27th), Father’s Day Cook & Play (June 16th), and fun, activity-filled summer camps!
May 10th, 2013 | 12:48 PM
Sunday I’m celebrating my most important job: being Emmy and Maddie’s mom.
Just six years ago I could not have imagined the endless joy my daughters would bring into my life — from first steps and early words, to kindergarten stories. Time is flying and I want to slow it down to treasure each and every moment.
Happy Mother’s Day from me to you.
Enjoy Sunday with your family, and if you’re in the mood to shop, here’s my gift to you: 10% off any purchase now through Mother’s Day (enter MomPick10 at checkout).
Below are some of my family’s favorites, which I hope you’ll love, too.
– Susan Kim, Plum District CEO & Mom of 2
Susan’s Mother’s Day Picks:
- Kitsel’s personalized products & favorite brands: Melissa & Doug, TRUMPETTE, Kidorable, and more.
- Customized, waterproof labels for all your needs: At-home use, school supplies, camp gear, and other purposes.
- Just $9 to dedicate a star to someone special: A remarkable gift - for any person and any age – that can be enjoyed forever.
May 10th, 2013 | 3:00 AM
Exclusive VIP Offer for Plum District Moms in Los Angeles:
MomAngeles is an online resource and community that helps LA moms get in touch with the best their city has to offer. Browse through their user-friendly directory to find favorite kids’ classes, family activities, local services, and more; it’s like Yellow Pages for moms!
In effort to bridge the gap between moms who love discounts and local businesses who need loyal customers, founders Lora Jakobsen and Laura Gerson created the Mommy Club Card. The card offers members great discounts, deals, and free products from businesses in LA and online - as well as discounted rates and special invitations to mommy events. Partners include mom and kid-favorites like Lorna Jane, Beauty Collection, Massage Place, Clean Bee Baby, The Pump Station & Nurtury, WittleBee, Kidville, and many more. Click here for a full list of the current offers!
And, just in time for Mother’s Day, MomAngeles is hosting their First Annual Mommy Awards to recognize moms for being great. Now through May 31st, you can vote for your favorite LA moms in categories like MacGuyver Mommy, Hotty Botaty Mommy, and Dairy Queen Mommy. Support the nominees and vote today!
‘Being a mom in Los Angeles is amazing but overwhelming,” says Founder, Laura Gerson. ‘There are so many cool neighborhoods to explore but it really helps to have a community you can count on for good tips, great ways to save, and a little love every once in a while.’ Co-Founder, Lora Jakobson, adds, ‘We created MomAngeles, the Mommy Club Card, and the Mommy Awards to help make our city a friendly, easy, and supportive place to be a mom.’
Get your FREE Mommy Club Card today (a $35 value), and it will be delivered straight to your doorstep.
Not only does the Mommy Club Card help moms and local businesses, it also supports the Phase One Foundation in their efforts to cure cancer, and Baby2Baby in their efforts to assist LA families in need.
Learn from Leading Experts; Socialize with Other Moms; Test Top Products; Enjoy Great Giveaways
May 9th, 2013 | 3:28 AM
Are you a mom or mom-to-be living living in Los Angeles? If so, join Club MomMe — the premier social and educational events community for moms and families (with new, growing locations in Orange County, Denver, Houston, and Chicago).
Club MomMe hosts 8-10 events per month featuring top experts in health, wellness, entrepreneurship, and more — all designed to help you transition from ‘Me’ to ‘MomMe.‘ The setting is fun and vibrant — filled with friends and other like-minded women — and Club MomMe provides food, drinks, and gift bags at every event! Gift bags are packed with their favorite, new products, allowing you to test things out before buying for your family. They also do giveaways with top brands and products like strollers, car seats, high chairs, baby and toddler gear, and more.
Sign up for Club MomMe in May (simply subscribe to their newsletter for any city), and you’ll automatically be entered to win a free Super MomMe Membership, a Joovy Room Pack n’ Play, a Lillebaby carrier, and a Monkey Mat playmat! Winners will be announced at the end of the month.
- Healthy Child, Healthy World Party (Fri, May 10th @ 10:30AM in Beverly Hills) — Learn simple steps you can take to protect yourself and your family.
- Mother’s Day Pamper & Play Morning (Sat, May 11th @ 10:30AM in Santa Monica) — Blowouts, mani-pedis, fat-blasting, braids, acupuncture, mommy and me crafts, photos, and more!
- Raising Grateful Kids in an Over-Indulgent World (Thurs, May 30th @7PM in Playa Vista) — Teach your kids about coping with feelings & how the world works with consequences; learn how to infuse value lessons.
- Expectant MomMe Workshop (Sat, June 8th @ 3PM in Manhattan Beach) — Prenatal yoga, Hypnobirthing, doulas and birth planning, and other topics.
To view more scheduled events, click here.
Personalized Gifts, Family & Kids' Activities, Travel Ideas, & Special Surprises
May 7th, 2013 | 12:53 PM
Here’s a sneak peek at what’s in store for you in May! Check Plum District all month long for favorite brands, surprises, and inspirations…
- 5/7-5/10: Kitsel’s personalized products and top brands for babies, kids, and moms:
- Shop Melissa & Doug, TRUMPETTE, TOOBY*DOO, Kidorable, and other favorites
- 5/7-5/12 Teacher Appreciation Gifts (also good for Mother’s Day):
- 5/12 Mother’s Day: Come see what we’ve got in store for you…
- 5/13-5/1 Jumpstart on Father’s Day:
- Family package at a gorgeous resort in Ojai, CA (golf and endless activities for all ages, top-notch amenities and dining, and more)
- Personalized, dad-loved tools for grilling and outdoor meals
- Grass-fed meats, delivered to your door
- 5/17: Have a summer birthday in your family? We’ve got great activities, venues, custom invitations, and more.
- 5/20 & 5/21 Memorial Day Planning: Discounts on accommodations at top destinations, travel bags, summer hats, kids’ crafts for road trips and planes, and airport transportation services.
- 5/22 & 5/23: Summer camp specials! We’re bring back mom and kid favorites.
Also, look out for local favorites this month like Natural History Museum (LA), The Cove Waterpark (LA/OC), 74th St. MAGIC Summer Camp (NYC), and goldstar sports and family events tickets (Yankees, Cirque du Soleil, theater, sailing & more in NYC)!