In The District:
It’s Week Two of our ‘We Love School’ Sweepstakes! Enter For a Chance to Win 70+ Prizes Worth $10,000
July 29th, 2014 | 11:00 AM
It’s Week Two of Plum District’s ‘We Love School’ Sweepstakes!
Check out below to see what’s up for grabs, and for details about what your little one can win for back to school!
Winners for Week 2 will be chosen and notified on Wednesday, August 6th. Click here for terms and conditions.
PRIZE: (5) $100 Gift Certificates to Yes To
Featured in Parents Magazine and named the “Best of Beauty Natural Wonders” by Allure in 2013, Yes To offers award-winning, natural products for the face, body, hair, and lips (adults and babies). Their nutrient-rich fruit and veggie formulas are free of petroleum, SLS, and parabens and are designed to improve everything from acne to premature aging. Yes To’s five natural collections include Carrot, Cucumber, Blueberry, Tomato and Grapefruit.
Why Plum loves Yes To for back to school: Yes To’s convenient SPF Sunscreen Sticks are easy to apply and keep little ones’ skin protected while they’re playing outside at recess and on the field!
PRIZE: (5) $100 Gift Certificates to ToyBeyond
ToyBeyond is dedicated to bringing children a wide variety of innovative, educational, safe, and entertaining toys. Their toys known for their imaginative, durable, and fun features that help promote active play and wonder. Shop family-loved brands such as Joybay, Melissa & Doug, DIY Kids, Little Genius, and more for babies to kids ages 12 and up! ToyBeyond strives to provide the best customer satisfaction, product safety, and unforgettable learning experiences.
Why Plum loves ToyBeyond for back to school: ToyBeyond’s educational products keep little ones actively learning and developing new skills that they can use inside and outside the classroom.
July 22nd, 2014 | 1:00 PM
It’s Week One of Plum District’s ‘We Love School’ Sweepstakes!
Our ‘We Love School’ Sweepstakes has finally arrived, and we are giving away amazing prizes this week. Check out below to see what’s up for grabs, and details about what you can win for your little one for back to school!
Winners for Week 1 will be chosen and notified on Wednesday, July 30th. Click here for the terms and conditions.
PRIZE: (5) $100 Gift Certificates to Radio Flyer
Featured in TIME and Parents Magazine, Radio Flyer creates kids’ toys such as wagons, tricycles, scooters, and other ride-ons that offer timeless magic and endless fun. As a leader in riding toys since 1917, they cherish the importance of high quality, classic, and innovative toys that encourage little ones to explore the outdoors. You can even customize your own wagon and watch your kids’ imagination take flight!
Why Plum loves Radio Flyer for back to school: Their ride-on toys are perfect for family walks to school in the morning!
PRIZE: (15) Personalized Kids’ Book + Free Shipping from Put me In the Story
Featured in Forbes and The New York TImes, Put Me In The Story is an award-winning children’s book company that personalizes bestselling children’s picture books. Your child becomes the star of each story alongside their favorite characters, creating a magical experience that makes children excited to read. Children love seeing their name and face throughout the story!
Why Plum loves Put Me In the Story for back to school: Their personalized books keep little ones excited about reading both inside and outside the classroom.
July 3rd, 2014 | 10:00 AM
Our ‘Hot Summer, Cool Books’ Sweepstakes was a HUGE success! We awarded $1,000+ worth of prizes to 24 wonderful families! Plum would also like to give a special ’thank you’ to I See Me for contributing amazing prizes. Thank you, again, to all who participated. Keep an eye on your Plum email for our next giveaway! Below are the winners and some responses – our favorite part of the entire sweepstakes:
$35 Gift Certificate Winners
“Wow!! Thanks so much. I never win anything!! You just made my day! :)” – Katie
“Thank you!!! My little one LOVES to read so this is exciting!” – Laura
Katrina Chrisman Buell
“Thank you very much! I’m excited to use this GC for my little princess :)” – Katrina
Christina Galea Parker
“I’m so excited, my little guy will love this.” – Christina
“Awesome, thank you so much!! My daughter loves books!!”
$100 Gift Certificate Grand Prize Winners
June 26th, 2014 | 1:27 PM
Keep your little ones fueled for summer fun and jazz up meal time with these irresistible presentations:
(Main Picture: Lion Fruit Plate)
June 19th, 2014 | 3:00 AM
Go behind the scenes and meet the Creativebug Team here!
With a full-time job and two kids, Jeanne Lewis struggled to feed her creative side and find fun projects to do with her little ones. After teaming up with her cousin, she launched Creativebug, an online resource for DIY video classes and projects in sewing, jewelry making, paper arts, and much more.
Members can enjoy over 300 video classes led by some of the most inspiring designers and crafters featured on shows like HGTV and Martha Stewart Living. New classes are added weekly. With crafts for all ages and interests, Jean says,
‘It’s a downright thrill connecting people to the satisfaction of making something by hand, and providing them with the type of instruction that feels like you are learning alongside a friend.”
Whether you’re an accomplished artist or just getting acquainted with a glue gun, Creativebug’s classes provide project ideas, expert guidance, and a healthy dose of creative inspiration. Their mission is to be your go-to source for online art and craft instruction.
Want to learn how to crochet after the little ones go to bed? Craving to sit down with an easel and paintbrush? Once you become a member, you’ll have unlimited access to all classes. Each class is broken down into video segments so you can skip ahead or watch a video again and again until you master a technique.
They also strive to make a difference by donating 5% of all subscription revenues to non-profit art organizations.
Our ‘Hot Summer, Cool Books’ Sweepstakes is Here! Enter For a Chance to Win $1000+ in Gift Cards to I See Me!
June 16th, 2014 | 9:00 PM
Through July 2nd, Plum District is partnering with I See Me to give away $1,000+ in personalized kids’ books and gifts to 23 lucky members!
Starting tomorrow, 2 lucky winners will be chosen daily (Monday-Friday) to receive a $35 gift certificate. On the final day, 2 Grand Prize winners will win $100 gift certificates! Winners can use their prizes toward personalized books or gifts on www.ISeeMe.com.
And remember, even if you win a $35 gift certificate you can still win the Grand Prize! For more chances to win, continue sharing your unique bit.ly link (that you receive upon entering) with friends and family.
Click here to enter the sweepstakes and receive your bit.ly link: http://bit.ly/1n6JesM
Click here for the terms and conditions.
Featured on The TODAY Show and in Parents Magazine, and popular among celebrity parents including Jessica Alba, Brooke Shields, and Courtney Cox – I See Me! offers unique, personalized books and gifts for children. Each award-winning book and gift is created to make your child feel special. I See Me! Books have been developed for every age and stage from birth to 8 years old, ensuring you’ll find an option you and your child will love. Their storybooks and gifts celebrate your little one’s uniqueness while teaching them how to spell their own name, developing vocabulary skills, and build confidence. All books are beautifully illustrated and written by award-winning children’s authors. Their kid-loved gifts include personalized puzzles, stickers, coloring & activity books, growth charts, lunch boxes and more. Share the gift of reading with a book from I See Me! today!
Click here to enter the sweepstakes: http://bit.ly/1n6JesM
May 19th, 2014 | 1:07 PM
Just for Plum Members, FabKids.com is offering $5 kids’ shoes for boys and girls. You’ll receive free shipping and exchanges on your first order.
Founded by mom and actress Christina Applegate, FabKids.com delivers high quality, read-to-play clothing, shoes, and accessories that are personalized just for your little one. Moms nationwide love their affordable prices and fresh styles, which have been featured in WWD, People Magazing, Daily Candy Kids, and babble.
Here’s how FabKids.com works:
1. Style Quiz: Create a profile to help their stylists learn your child’s personal style.
2. FabShop: Each month, you’ll be presented with a handpicked selection of new FabShop outfits and styles to choose from.
3. Save: All FabKids outfits start at just $29.95; styles start at $14.95; and there’s free shipping on your first order!
May 9th, 2014 | 12:06 PM
May 8th, 2014 | 10:58 AM
Even the little ones will get excited about this Mother’s Day Brunch menu. Hand these recipes over to Dad, or gather everyone in the kitchen for a Mother’s Day cooking party! We wish you all a wonderful and delicious Sunday morning with your family.
April 17th, 2014 | 12:54 PM
Today, Plum District’s kicking off Summer Camps and Camp Gear! We’re lining up everything from traditional day camps and enrichment programs to sports and performing arts camps, so you can sign up your little ones for an incredible summer. Check in with us often so you don’t miss anything!
Here are 10 questions to ask before signing up your little one – to help ensure they have a healthy, happy summer camp experience:
1) Is my child ready for summer camp?
- Assess your child’s maturity and social skills. Do they relate well and have good friends? Are they amenable and agreeable? If so, they’re already off to a good start.
- Next, your child should have the basic skills needed for the camp you’re considering (computer knowledge, sports skills, etc).
- For overnight camps: Has your child had positive sleepover experiences with friends or relatives? If so, they’ll probably be just fine. If they’re excited about the idea of going away, that’s a good sign.
2) What camp is best for my child?
- Choose a subject your child is comfortable with, and something they’re naturally interested in. Don’t send them off to computer camp if they’d rather be playing basketball. They won’t be a happy camper.
3) What about cost?
- Start with tuition, then find out if there are extra fees for activities, meals, transportation, or extended hours. Can you afford the total amount?
- Check to see if it’s a half-day or full-day camp, and look at the program cost per hour. What will my child do during those hours? What will my child take away when camp’s over?
- Most camps offer financial assistance. Inquire sooner rather than later if you need a helping hand. Options may include: financial aid, scholarships, deferred payment plans, sliding scale tuition, and discounts for bringing a friend.
4) What’s the camp’s philosophy?
- It should be one you’re comfortable with as a parent. Think about the kind of experience you want your child to have.
- Some questions to ask: Is the camp interactive and hands on? Is it focused on collaboration or competition? Do campers apply concepts to real word situations? Is there much unstructured social time?
- Speak with a camp official if that would be helpful.
5) Who’s leading the camp?
- Find out the Director’s background and how long they’ve been directing the camp.
- As for staff, some camps employ high school and college students – others require college degrees, more experience, and various certifications. High school and college students can make great counselors, but make sure they’re engaged and interested in interacting with children rather than just trying to make some summer money.
6) What’s the ratio of staff to campers?
- ACA guidelines for overnight camps call for a 1:6 ratio for ages 7-8, 1:8 for ages 9-14, and 1:10 for ages 15-18. Day camp guidelines call for 1:8 for ages 6-8, 1:10 for ages 9-14, and 1:12 for ages 15-18.
7) What procedures are in place to keep my child safe?
- All staff should have background checks and be trained in CPR and First Aid.
- EMTs should be nearby.
- Lifeguards should be present at camps involving water.
- If transportation is necessary, all drivers should be licensed and trained, and all vehicles inspected.
8) What things are most important to you personally?
- For some parents, it’s the quality of facilities. For others, food allergy prevention is critical. If you’re religious, are there services?
- Think about what you and your child must have, and if the camp provides that.
9) What’s the camp’s approach to discipline and how is conflict handled between campers?
- Find out what the camp rules are. The camps practices should generally be in line with your parenting practices.
- Ask a camp official about conflict resolution. If conflict does occur, it’s important that counselors treat it as a ‘growth opportunity’. They should ask the campers how the conflict arose, how it could’ve been handled differently, and how to move forward in a positive way.
10) What do others say about the camp?
- Learn about it’s reputation: it’s return rates, accreditation status, and references.
- For camper return rate, 50% is good (more is better, of course).
- For staff return rate, anywhere between 40-60% is common. A high return rate suggests the camp is well-managed and can help preserve the traditions that create bonding among campers. If the rate is lower, ask why.
- Do a site visit, tour the camp, and get a sense of whether or not the kids are happy and engaged. There’s nothing like seeing it in action!